Lilypie

Monday, November 10, 2008

Sick Little Man

Tyler has had a congested cough that started on Saturday. I didn't think too much of it, because he was still incredibly happy and playful. But at night time his cough would get worse and he'd wake himself up coughing. So I decided to take him to the doctor this morning to be safe. Well, primarily out of selfishness to be honest. I've got a girl's trip scheduled for this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. I didn't want him to get sicker this week, because I don't think I can leave a sick baby. So this morning we headed to the doctor, and boy am I glad we did. I told them I thought he had a cold because other than the congested cough at night time, he didn't really have any other symptoms. They decided to do a test to check his oxygen levels. The normal range is 100. His were in the low 70's. When the doctor listened to his chest, it didn't sound too good. So they gave him steroids and breathing treatments in the doctor's office and said they wanted to check him for RSV. After the treatments, they re-did the oxygen test and they were able to get him in the high 80's, which was much better. But the RSV test came back positive. The doctor said it was a really good thing that I brought him in this morning because I caught it very early. If we had waited until the end of the week, he might have had to go in the hospital. So we are at home for the week, and on breathing treatments every 6 hours for the next 3-4 days. The doctor said he should be good to go by the end of the week. But now I am so nervous about going out of town. I feel like I would be the worse mother in the world if I left him. But then on the other hand, the doctor said we caught it so early he should be good by Wednesday or Thursday. I am so torn. I really want to go on this trip, but the thought of leaving Tyler right now breaks my heart. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions????

P.S....I guess since he's sick he's off restriction :-)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Now that I've talked to you I feel so much better!! Take care of little Tyler. I hope he gets better ASAP! Miss you guys!

rita and andy said...

I am so sorry your little man is sick. I am glad that you caught it early and hopefully he will be much better by the weekend. :-)

amyop said...

AWWW...POOR TYLER! Let me know if I can do anything!